Technical Operations Manager
The purpose of this critical operational position in our organization is oversight of the QC process from all aspects of the technical operations perspective in the company. These are inclusive of, but not limited to:
- Field commissioning
- Punchlist closeout
- Handover to the VCA Service Team
When this job is executed well, the following outcomes result:
- Fabrication is completed timely and within budget with a flat or Positive variance. Variance by task reports are available for tracking of this by project.
- Installation on site is completed timely and within budget
- Staffing is utilized to 75% or above
- The staff is well trained and prepared for the assigned Projects and tasks.
- Revenue return on resources is 33% Fully loaded. Reports are available for review and tracking
Major Responsibilities (not tasks)
The list below is inclusive of, but not limited to, the responsibilities of the person holding this position:
- Oversight and management the Install and T&V Team
- Recruit, hire, and review the staff
- Establish a career path for each individual in the department with VCA management. Mentor the individuals, arrange for training, and facilitate their career development
- Establish, publish, and communicate a technician-training program for Level 1 through to Lead technician and T&V technician.
- Insure the departments have proper tools, equipment, and technical knowledge for the safe and professional performance of their assignments (including department vehicles).
- Communicate weekly project fabrication, staging field, commissioning and punch list status to the PM team both formally and as required in frequency and method of communication.
- Guide technicians and ensure the execution of the AV 9000 based VCA QC Process.
- Track and produce metrics on execution of the process.
- Liaise with the Engineering team to communicate issues found in design prior to systems fabrication and identify resolutions to move forward and communicate these to the technician, PM and engineering team as needed.
A person successfully executing the responsibilities of this position will perform the following major activities. Inclusive of, but not limited to:
- Motivate teams to work together in the most efficient manner, mitigating team conflict and communication
- Approve all timesheets, making sure the correct job numbers are listed and hours are recorded correctly
- Projects completed on time and on budget
- Instance logging to aid in tracking project difficulties to limit future occurrences
- Consistent review of each completed project for Fabrication and Installation Performance and produce Lessons Learned documentation to the PM and Director of Technical Operations
- Maintain staff utilization at 75% or above
- Coordinate with Project Management and publish a set of goals (accomplished milestones based on calendar intervals) for the labor force as it relates to the individuals and projects
- Articulate the established goals to the project stakeholders with clear indication of accountability to those goals. Each technician should be clear regarding what is expected.
- Provide positive productive feedback to team members through both verbal instruction and work review as well as yearly formal performance reviews.
- Produce and maintain daily as required labor schedules and forecasts based on Project Schedules produced by Project Managers. This document needs to be readily accessible to defined team members and kept recent and forecast at least 3 months forward.
- Meet weekly with the Director of Technical Operations to review issues and track goals for the individual and department.
While not the major thrust of this position, the following tasks also need to be completed by the person in this job:
- Participate in the performance of work as appropriate and as needed as the team’s leader
- Lead by example
- Coordinate and identify and OSHA requirements at project sites and coordinate the acquisition and delivery of all support items needed (scaffolding, lifts, etc.) with the Project Team.
- Attend weekly and or monthly management meetings updating management on work load and progress of projects
- Schedule subcontract labor when necessary
- Regular visits to job sites to review installation progress and maintain relationships with field personnel.
The degree to which the person in this position performs well will be determined by assessing performance in accord with the inclusive of but not limited to following criteria and measures:
- Utilization of time for billable jobs vs non-billable or administrative tasks
- Timeliness and efficiency of projects
- Project execution
The person in this position reports to:
- Director of Technical Operations
The person in this position works closely with:
- Installation, fabrication & T+V Teams
- Project Managers
- Internal Coordinators (ICs)
- Management Team
Tools and Equipment Used
The person in this post must be competent using the following hardware and software necessary in executing the responsibilities of the position:
- All hand and specialty tools necessary
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Office 365
- Programming software
- SPL/RTA Meters
- Test measurement tools as needed to meet specified testing procedures both internally and externally in specifications.
To perform well, the person in this position must have the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and characteristics:
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft Office and Office 365
- Ability to read and understand system, electrical, auto cad, and other construction drawings
- Strong electronic and mechanical abilities as related to rack fabrication and field installation of flat panel monitors, projectors and speakers.
- A solid understanding of Trade Labor practices in NYC. Knowledge of job site hierarchy and management.
- Understanding structured data / AV cable infrastructure and installation practices in the industry.
- OSHA 10 Certified
Interested applicants should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.